Apply to join our staff!
Applications for the Virginia Review of Politics for the Spring 2019 cycle are now live! Applications are due by 11:59pm on January 27, 2019 for the following positions:
You do not need to have prior experience writing for a publication to be a Staff Writer, nor do you need to be a political wonk by any means. Those with interest in non-conventional subject areas (e.g. technology, leftism, music, sexual politics, etc.) are particularly encouraged to apply. In general, we are looking for spirited candidates who are eager to work closely with a team of editors to produce well-researched and high-quality articles. If you are a Staff Writer for VRoP, you do NOT need to re-apply for your current position.
Staff Writers are responsible for:
1. Writing at least two 750-1500 word articles per semester
2. Attending all general body meetings
3. Maintaining regular correspondence with editors and pod members
Interviews & Features Staff
The Interviews Staff is being redesigned this semester to include a whole bunch of exciting different platforms for staffers to stimulate conversations about current issues facing the world today. In addition to interviews, being a part of this staff will give you the opportunity to moderate discussions and roundtables, narrate a podcast with our production team and several other exciting things that will be started this semester. Being a part of this staff will be a team effort and we will try to expand opportunities for exciting conversation and debate. Writing, interviewer and debate will all be large aspects of this team. No experience is required, but appreciated.
If you have any questions about the application, please email Interviews Editor Mark Felice at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Productions Team is looking for graphic designers to help organize VROP’s Print edition and to work on the creative side of the publication. If you have any questions about the application, please email Productions Manager Ethan Sullivan at email@example.com or Print Director Edie Tepper firstname.lastname@example.org.
Junior & Senior Editors
This application is designed for both prospective Junior and prospective Senior Editors. Everyone will be considered for the former position, and those who check the box for interest in Senior editing will be considered for the latter. You need not have prior experience editing or past involvement with VRoP in order to apply, although it of course does not hurt to have those things! We are primarily, however, looking for spirited applicants with an interest in politics, a good eye for journalism, and a willingness to work closely with Staff Writers on their individual pieces. If you are a Junior or Senior Editor for VRoP, you do NOT need to re-apply for your current position.
Junior Editors are responsible for:
1. Conducting first-round edits on all articles submitted in their editing Pod
2. Acting as liaisons between Staff Writers and Senior Editors / Managing Editor / Editor-in-Chief
3. Planning at least two Pod-wide activities each semester
Senior Editors are responsible for:
1. Conducting second-round edits on all articles submitted in their two assigned Pods
2. Conducting edits for guest articles
3. Attending Editorial Board meetings
4. Helping to select Junior Editors and Staff Writers
5. Holding training sessions for incoming Junior Editors
6. Updating writing and editing guides as needed
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.